Monday, January 24, 2022

Deer In The Headlights

 The weekend was quiet. Max came over Saturday, and we ordered lunch from The Detroit Wing Company. Max has lost some weight and is dressing better. He has been going to his college classes in person.

I worked on the Lego model for a few hours. I finished what I wanted to achieve behind the wall and will be working on a mountain beyond the cottage next.

I picked up Ava Sunday night, and we made pizzas back at the condo. We are still discussing the deals of a road trip in March. She has some quirks I am still trying to plan around. It was close to midnight when I drove her back to her house. The drive their was uneventful, and we discussed vacations and the possible road trip. On my return trip, about a mile from the condo, two deer jumped across the road in front of me. There are woods in the area, but it isn't devoid of houses.

When  I turned into my condo complex entrance, two more deer crossed in front of me. These were closer. My dashcam caught both pairs, but it was easier to see the second pair. I am going to start driving with more caution at night. Here is a screen capture. There are no woods for them to hide in near me. I have never seen deer so close to the house.



11 comments:

  1. I've always lived in the city so seeing deer is not something I'm used to. That would be scary to have them pop out in front of my moving car. Do be careful when driving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen so many so close in one night, but I agree caution is in order.

      Delete
  2. Central PA is white tail deer country. They're all over the place. On Nov 8, 2020, coming back from Philly around 2 in the morning, three of them ran a red light on their way up to the strip mall a half mile from my house. I live in a very residential community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be more normal here as more houses are built.

      Delete
  3. Lately we're seeing Deer where we didn't usually see them, at least not so visibly. I think it's coz a lot of folks are not intruding on the Habitat due to the Pandemic and so Nature is trying to reclaim some lost ground? I did hear Today on a News Channel by a Contagious Disease expert that COVID has been found in many Deer, especially the White Tail Deer population, that they've performed Road Kill autopsies on... so perhaps having The Rona has given the poor Dears {pun intended} The Rona Fog and they're feeling so Sickly with it they're just jumping out in front of Vehicles to end it all and quickly, I dunno? Not joking about the findings tho', apparently there are Species it's crossed over and infected in the Animal Kingdom too, which is probably why those in Hong Kong are Freaking Out and now Killing Hamsters and Small Pets like Lunatics?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deers are lovely but it is scary when they jump on the street and you're driving! Perhaps there's a mix of cold spell making it more difficult for them to find food and someone leaving out something interesting for them to nibble (such as salt)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am sure the people around here think it is cute to feed them, but I think it endangers them to become so comfortable around humans.

      Delete
    2. surely you are right, but this would be a difficult ethical debate indeed!

      Delete
    3. Yes, because hunting in my area is illegal and there are no natural predators they just keep increasing in population.

      Delete
  5. That has got to destroy the front end of your car. I cannot imagine having a kangaroo jump in front of my truck.

    ReplyDelete