Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Writing

 "I should write a book," I tell Ava. A female-centric fantasy novel like Fifty Shades of Grey. Ava wholeheartedly agrees. She feels like she is already living the fantasy. 

After giving it some thought. I've come to doubt that I could not reach my target audience because I am a man. I think women and men write differently. My book would land somewhere in the middle and fall on deaf ears.

I feel like I would be better off writing about what I know. Somewhere between passing on knowledge and experience. The self-help out there for men seems to fall into two categories. On one side they say focus on money, muscles, and game. On the other, there is the MGTOW (men going their own way) who give up on dating.  I feel there are many guys out there like me-- stuck in the middle. Neither of these is a viable solution for average guys in their forties and fifties in today's dating market. 

I have no answers, but I do have experience, the desire to write, and some incite I think is valuable. Even if it turns into another cautionary tale. 

The new book would start out with this quote:

A man wants what a woman has—sex. He can steal it (rape), persuade her to give it away (seduction), rent it (prostitution), (or) lease it over the long term (marriage). —Andrea Dworkin.

I wanted to expound on this further, but it is turning into a busy week.

7 comments:

  1. "A man wants what a woman has," could also mean a vagina, just to let you know. 😎😎😎

    ReplyDelete
  2. No 99% of what she has to say I would probably disagree with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should write what you want to write. Don't worry about the market. That said, I write female-centric fantasy (although not Fifty Shades), and I can tell you that's not an underserved audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point. I am not expecting to get rich off it.

      Delete
  4. I think people think different sex write differently. I heard Edgar Allen Poe actual like to write romance. The other pen name for Louisa May Alcott, was A.M Barnard. Under the pen name she wrote Thrillers. Woman didn't write thrillers back then.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe they do write differently, but Liz comment is true. I should just write.

      Delete