I would like to address questions in the comments in the previous post.
Several people pointed out men can be emotional too. I agree. I am very emotional. It would be a better statement to say that the way the man and the woman approach these arrangements will be different.
Alexis is a hairstylist. She lives with her 80-year-old mother, her 16-year-old son, and Sam. Alexis worked out of a salon before covid. Now she works out of her house and survives off that income and government assistance. She is trying to get on disability, but Sam questions whether she qualifies (so do I). Alexis' health issues have more to do with a poor diet, lack of exercise, and abuse of alcohol and prescription drugs.
Alexis never plans to live with or consummate this marriage. It is strictly so she can benefit from his healthcare, receive a portion of his pension after he dies, and get the $150,000 in life insurance. The guy is buying someone to care about him. Unfortunately, Alexis will probably care more about him dying than living.
Ava texted me yesterday. She said after our discussion, where I told her she should push for what she wants, the arrangement will be her living alone. It wasn't that way before. He wanted to live with her, which would have made it awkward. This doesn't mean she will have a license to sleep with other guys. The fact that monogamy is an integral part of his arrangement is interesting. Ava says it is because he is old-fashioned. I agree, but not for the reasons she gives for his request. Besides, there is no way Ava will be able to comply with that. She is already scheming ways around it. He could use infidelity against her toward the end of the two-year arrangement. After all, I doubt she will be signing any contracts.
Why do I have a problem with either of these arrangements? Because they are not simple business contracts. A simple business contract is, I will pay you $10, and you will provide me with a widget.
Let's start with Alexis. Her contract sounds simple. I will marry you on paper, and in return, you will put me on your health insurance now, and I will receive a portion of your pension when you die. Thinking about it now, it doesn't make sense, and I think Alex is leaving out some detail. Perhaps because he is morbidly obese, and she doesn't want to admit to anything sexual. Regardless, there will be all these unspoken expectations-- from the guy. We are married. You need to take care of me when I am sick. You need to go to school functions (he is a teacher). Trips? Sex? Medical bills after his death?
Alexis doesn't have any unspoken expectations, and though she knows the arrangement comes with these implicit strings, she will do her best to avoid them.
Ava's situation is similar. The guy is buying his widgets in bulk and will have his own implicit strings. Ava will do her best to control and minimize these because it is not part of her plan or desire. Ava wants financial stability and to secure her future. The best way to do that is not to be controlled by someone else's expectations that she knows going in she cannot agree to. Heck, Ava doesn't even want to conform to the spoken expectation of monogamy. What happens after the two years, and he wants to continue, but she says no?
I don't have a problem with either woman's decision, although I think Alexis' arrangement is morally objectionable. She should be helping the man seek mental health services, not hoping he will die. "Well, someone should benefit from his death" is not a valid argument, in my opinion. I think I will be saying, "See, I told you so," to both.
Ava's arrangement with me is different. We are a simple business contract. We could part ways tomorrow, and neither could say they were cheated or that expectations were not met.
My friend Jay keeps telling me plenty of wealthy widows live in his condo complex in Florida. I could go down there and find myself a similar arrangement. The idea doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.
I just don't get people who approach personal relationships like business transactions. I guess I'm weird that way? But whatever? This is an interesting window into a different sort of way of looking at things.
ReplyDeleteAva is a friend with mutually beneficial benefits. But I think all relationships are transactional to some extent.
DeleteIf you want to get a better idea of where I come from you should read my memoir. The is a whole cast of interesting characters.
I agree with you on this. Alexis entering a long term contract where the expectations can't help but be broke. The marriage could last for years. The expectations will evolve and then what?
ReplyDeleteAva and you-- while I don't value your kind of relationship, I can't fault it either. The two of you are open and honest with each other. You both get something out of it. Should the situation change, you can part ways without heart break. I've been in many relationships where I didn't give or get that level of openness and honesty.
My past experiences with love tell me your partners is seldom the most honest person you know. I am not saying Ava is completely honest, but I think she is getting better. Regardless there are no strings attached to our encounters.
DeleteMaybe I am afraid of that. Maybe I just haven't found someone I am willing to emotionally invest in. I am sure a little of both are true.
I agree with you that all relationships are transactional to some extent but I guess if you care for the person then you don't see it that way. I also understand your point of view of knowing what you want and getting it without any lies or deception. It works for you and there is no hidden agenda.
ReplyDeleteThere are always hidden agendas I am trying to eliminate the worst ones.
DeleteWow, that arrangement between Alexis and her soon to be, sounds bad. I agree, she should be helping him find help not taking advantage like this.
ReplyDeleteThose are my thoughts, but she would rationalize them away so I don't push them to hard.
DeleteThere is a major difference between Alexis and Ava. You know Alexis, her son, and probably a number of other people who know her so her situation is being talked about by a small group. With Ava, all you have is what she choses to tell you, there is no ability to verify anything. Being the naturally cynical person I am, I wouldn't trust her at all. The monogamy bit but wanting to live separately because he's old fashioned sounds all sorts of tooty patooty to me.
ReplyDeleteDesperate people make desperate deals. So who can tell. I can only deduce the truths from what I am told and what I know.
DeleteYou are right. Often if it sounds to good to be true, it isn't true. It is easy to say the things a person wants to hear and take advantage of them. That is why I think Ava should be the one taking advantage.
ReplyDelete