I think my next Lego project will be based on the artwork of Roger Dean. He did most of the album covers for the band Yes. I always have liked his work and his top-heavy islands. That will be after I get past this first display.
Max's mother said he could buy her current car with whatever proceeds he gets from selling his own. It is fine with me and gets rid of my only headache. I will stay out of it.
I went for a bike ride Saturday and then worked on the project late into the evening. I built this nice little square building, but much of the detail gets hidden by being packed next to the castle. I am a little nervous about the upcoming show, but I think my display will go over okay. It is unique and has a lot going on.
Storms rolled through on Wednesday evening. The power at the condo went out about 6:30pm. It was still off Thursday morning with no estimate of when it will be restored. It is hard stacking Legos by flashlight. By noon Thursday, the power was back. This time I didn't lose anything from my freezers.
I watched a documentary on Woodstock 99 last night. The Frye concert was a shit show that did not happen. Woodstock 99 was a shit show that did. Given the line-up (one I would have greatly liked to have seen at the time) and the conditions, I am amazed the promoters did not expect what happened. I think the way Coachella is designed is a direct result of lessons learned at Woodstock 99.
Some would say we are breeding what makes a man out of the younger generations. I think there is some truth to that. I do not think testosterone-fueled violence should be allowed unchecked. Things are definitely changing for the good and the worse. It lends itself to a good debate. Debating is not something most people do these days. They cannot see beyond their own beliefs and look at the other side of the argument. Debates are not about agreeing with the opposite view but realizing that issues are not black and white.
I have my beliefs, but I am constantly checking them against the opinions of others and new facts. Sometimes what seems right can lead to other issues that must be addressed. I think this way because I have no personal problems and can overthink. I am not consumed by just surviving.
I am going to use a sticky subject as an example. I think women should have the right to an abortion. I also think there should be a reasonable limit to how long into a pregnancy an abortion can be performed. I believe abortion access and information should be readily available so women can choose in that limited time.
On the other side, though, I wonder why so many abortions are for different reasons than rape, incest, or being a risk to the mother. Abortion should not be considered a form of both control, and there should be better access to birth control to prevent this. I do not believe others should be able to force their religious beliefs on others. I do think that in this country, you have the right to your own religious beliefs.
I could go on. Father and mother have different inherent and law-enforced obligations to a child. A woman (in some states at this time) can decide to have an abortion without the father's consent if she feels it would be detrimental to her future-- financially, socially, whatever. The father does not have a say in the matter. The mistake can be equally laid on both parties. Still, suppose the woman decides to have the baby. In that case, the father is expected to financially support the child to adulthood until they turn 18, regardless if it affects him economically or socially.
A woman should have control over her own body. With this right, does that give them more responsibility? The rabbit hole goes on and on. It is a debate. Some questions are not easily answered, and few look past the initial right to life, right to choice issue.
These are just my thoughts. Everyone can have their own opinion in this country-- at least today. I hope your opinion does not stop at the first question but goes deeper in all cases.
As a man, I think my opinion should be rather limited. Unfortunately for women in this country, the number one religion is patriarchal in nature meaning there is a large group of men who feel they should be calling the shots.
ReplyDeleteYou can have an opinion. The questions affect men too. People forget that.
DeleteBeing able to debate something without getting into an argument is almost non-existent these days. It's so crazy that adults cannot have a discussion on topics while having differing opinions without it getting ugly anymore.
ReplyDeleteExactly my point.
DeleteI think Woodstock 99 influenced all the following music festivals. In a good way (I hope).
ReplyDeleteLate term abortion... This has been framed incorrectly. Who gets late term abortions? At that point, the woman knows she's pregnant. (Well, most of the time.) She probably wants the baby. She's picked out a name. She's set up the nursery. And then something terrible happens...
And now the law enforcement is involved in what should be a medical decision?
The whole thing is about "putting women in their place".
You are right. I think many people, religious one especially are trying to put women in "there place". That is not what I am proposing. Although, I do think there is a lot more to the issues.
DeleteYou make some valid and well thought out points.
ReplyDeletePeople don’t know how to debate anymore. I find that people get hysterical or can’t seem to articulate without frustration. Debating is how we learn. Great listening skills are needed which seems to be the problem because everyone wants a voice and wants to shout loudest which is fine because you need to be heard. However, so does your opponent. Through debating we reach a balance; or we should, rather than an impasse.
Good luck with the lego by flashlight. That’s determination that is.
The power came on. So, no Lego by flashlight yet. If I don't meet my deadline there may be :).
DeleteWoodstock 99 never heard of. But it seems quite a few of the first round of woodstock (hippies) are now all for Trump. That what I notice. I guess it fad. I hope so
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
No one wants Woodstock 99 remembered except a few who where there and made it out unharmed.
DeleteMost complex issues are a Rabbit Hole we could all fall quite far down. Like you, I have some pro and con reasoning about many of these trigger issues that most people seem to see as Black and White with no Grey. Even if the extreme thinking of Black and White wouldn't solve a damned thing, the vast majority of people seem to not assess backlash of extreme ideology, whatever their stance might be. As for Woodstock 99, some Past Events were iconic and nostalgic and the idea to replicate them for gain is tempting to the promoters. Even the original Woodstock certainly had it's downside, people don't want to recall the negs of something they have a fond nostalgic memory of, just the rosy positives about it. I am as nostalgic as they come, but I do recall the negs of even the things I miss... wouldn't want to have repeat performances of any of it, better to live in the present and prepare for the future than looking back and trying to recapture an Old Moment that is seen now thru Rose Colored Glasses by most.
ReplyDeleteI think Woodstock 99 could have been a decent experience, though never recapturing the original. People attending were never of the same mindset. Things do tend to look rosy in our memories. That is one of the reasons I write everything down. It will never look any rosier than what I have written.
DeletePS: As for Billie leaving... anyone who can leave us, was never tied to our Destiny, so best to just Let them Go.
ReplyDeleteI have although the relationship did shape who I am today.
DeleteI think breeding out traditional "masculine" traits is ideal. Human beings, no matter the gender, have complex emotions and having this agenda that "men don't show emotions" is harmful to their own emotional intelligence as they develop and age, but it can also become harmful to the people they are around. Do I like masculine men? Sure, but I also like emotional intelligence and people who can critically think.
ReplyDeleteI think that sadly abortions are sometimes used in lieu of proper BC, but there is also a systematic issue of the way this country educates individuals on sex. When it was taught in my school, I was living in Utah, and you can probably accurately imagine how that went. We are sexual creatures and to say something like "well, if you don't want to get pregnant, don't have sex" is a limited, and I will also say, stupid idea. A really good documentary to watch is After Tiller, regarding the murder of one of the last late term abortion providers from Colorado. He only provided LT abortions for women with documented clinical information regarding fetuses that would not be viable outside the womb.
I don't think males who are not masculine appeal to the majority of woman. I envision a future where babies are created in labs. At this time, we will breed the genders closer to asexual or breed individuals for specific tasks. I figure if we eliminate wars or the need for men to fight them it will be the former.
Delete