Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Graduate

Can I Graduate,
Can I look into the faces that I meet,
Can I get my punk-ass off the street,
I've been living on for so long,..Graduate, Third Eye Blind

Like so many roads in the area, the road the rehab is on is under construction. Traffic can only travels in one direction, which adds ten minutes to my trip. I rolled into the rehab parking lot at 7:45 a.m. I head inside and upstairs to the women's unit.  I ring the bell and wait for several minutes before staff opens the door, and Firefly appears.

She is wearing a mustard-yellow paisley halter top, black leggings, and a black leather jacket. Firefly has put on weight. She looks healthy, but I think she feels self-conscious about the added pounds.  She probably has not been this heavy before. Firefly seemed subdued. She has only been away from the rehab once in three months. which was to go to court.

The day started out dark and overcast.  Intermittent raindrops trickled down, threatening to unleash a complete downpour at any second.

After packing a considerable amount of belongings into the truck, I slide into the passenger seat. Firefly gets behind the wheel.  It takes her a few minutes to get comfortable with the controls because the Gladiator is not an easy vehicle to drive. The steering is sensitive, and the truck tends to wander. I direct her to the restaurant of her choice, an IHOP (International House of Pancakes), but it is not open.  It has fallen victim to the times. I find a different restaurant nearby.  This one is just a HOP. I get a scrabbled egg skillet, and Firefly gets her pancakes with Nutella and banana.

We discuss her stay and her plans over the meal.  She has some money on her bridge card (government assistance). The rehab makes them sign up for those when they enter.  The facility takes a portion of the resident's food allowance. I am not sure how long she will get to keep the assistance now that she lives with me. My income exceeds the limit. 

"You've had your fun," I tell her when we leave the restaurant, and I gently point her to the passenger side of the truck. I take over the driving and drop her off at her parent's house. She needs to sort through clothes and pick up her car. Both parents are outside when we arrive. Firefly jumps out and starts talking to her mother.  Firefly's father comes around to the passenger side and thanks me for all my help.


4 comments:

  1. uh, ok. We'll be waiting to read more I guess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, it was just a quick enter. I am waiting to see also.

      Delete
  2. Now, everything is going to depend upon her and how she deals with her baggage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only time will tell. It is all up to here now.

      Delete