Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Weird Text

 I received a text today from an unknown number.

Them: Hey.

Bathwater: Hello, who is this?

Them: Billie

Bathwater: New number? How have you been?

Them: I've been good wbu

Bathwater: I've been good. 

Bathwater: Everything okay?

I tried sending her an image of the cat at this point, and it didn't go through. It seemed weird. I sent the exchange to Tinkerbell, saying, "I got a text from Billie. Then she disappeared."

Tinkerbell: I don't think it is her. It could be the boyfriend seeing if you two still talk to each other. She might be messing around on him, and he wants to find out who. 

It started me thinking she could be right. Billie's name is not that common and is spelled uniquely. 

Tinkerbell gave me a laundry list of her suspicions and suggested I either call the new number or the old one. I decided to try Billie's old number. She answered right away.

"Hey, I got a text from someone on a new number today, claiming to be you."

"That's weird. It wasn't me," Billie replied.

"Well, it seemed unusual, so I thought I'd give this number a call."

Billie seemed perplexed by it too. at least she didn't allude to anything. "Hey, I'd really like to catch up with you, but I am in traffic now. Can I call you back later tonight? Or later this week?"

"Sure, I love to catch up."

I'm sure you can imagine the million different thoughts running through my head right now.

8 comments:

  1. I would have a lot of thoughts as well. Good luck solving the mystery and meeting up with Billie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure we will meet up. But it I would be interested in hearing how things are going for her.

      Delete
  2. The most obvious answer is someone hacked her phone and looked at some of her text messages. I hope she gets it checked before some real damage is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so. My number would not be showing up in any recent messages. I have not texted her since December.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Not yet, Lucy. She indicated later this week.

      Delete
  4. That is bizarre, but I don’t know the backstory,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd have to select the category, Billy or read my book to understand the whole story.

      Delete