I left work early to meet Jay at my condo. He was coming over to fix the leaky pipe. After inspecting the line and determining it was still wet inside, he decided we would need to cut out the elbow where it was leaking and install a snake bit fitting.
Jay was on the ladder working. I ran around getting him the tools he needed and watching him work when I realized he was cutting the wrong pipe. So we ended up getting two snake bit fittings instead of one.
We set off to that orange home improvement store to buy the materials we would need. Jay insisted we prepare for the worse and added extra pipe, fittings, and a Sawzall to my cart. We walked out with $173 in supplies. I was able to take back $147 worth when the job was complete. I spent around $100 in total. That includes everything I need to bring the ceiling back to its original look.
After fixing the plumbing, Jay helped me install the drywall I cut Sunday over the hole. 5/8 inch drywall is too heavy for me to lift over my head anymore. It was a tight fit and needed trimming, but that is done, and the first coat of mud is covering the edges. I should be able to paint by this weekend if I work on it a bit each night.

That looks great! You did what most people do, overbuy and then return what they don't need. I don't like working with drywall, have a difficult time feathering out the seam, so you can always see where I've patched things.
ReplyDeleteI am not very good either. Corners are the worst. Working overhead sucks too.
DeleteGlad it all went well and turned out great. Home repairs stress me out too because I am just so inexperienced when it comes to stuff like that but I have learned a lot after owning a home for 17 years.
ReplyDeleteI learned a lot over the years too. I wish my son would learn more. Perhaps when/if he gets his own house he will.
DeleteI'm glad things went fairly smoothly.
ReplyDeleteI get stressed out when I need repairs in my apartment for different reasons. I have to put in a work order and wait for them to show up and hope they know what they're doing. I never know how long it will take for them to fix it.
In the last year I've had to get a new hot water heater, AC, shower head, kitchen sink pipes and electrical outlets. At least I don't have to worry about any of that for a while now.
Yes 80 to 90 percent of the repairs I do myself. I think a man should know how to do these things.
DeleteI totally agree with you on stressing over house repairs. I too like my home to be just so and when things go wrong it does my head in.
ReplyDeleteMy living room is still all cluttered. I hate it.
Delete