Monday, December 27, 2021

The Hub

 I have allowed my sleeping schedule and routine to lapse during the vacation. Yesterday, I went out for drinks with Jay, Alexis, and Sam.  It was the first time we were all together at once in ages.  Those three have been friends since middle school. I was the catalyst for getting us all together, but I tend to be out of place when they discuss childhood friends and memories. I keep to myself and let them do the talking.

We went to the Hub bar, sat in a secluded corner, talked, ate, and drank for four hours. Jay made a comment concerning a girl sitting at a table across the room at one point. "Why does that girl seem so familiar?" 

I noticed the girl earlier but was not paying much attention to anyone outside of our circle. "I know," he continued, "she looks exactly like Billie-- her  facial structure, the way she walks."

I looked at the girl closer. Jay was correct. She was a lot like Billie, excepted with darker hair. After his comment, I found my gaze drifting back to the girl throughout the rest of the evening. Alexis noticed me texting and asked if I would be hooking up with Ava later. 

"No."

She was drunk by then and looking to stir things up. "I'm sure glad I don't have to pay for sex." 

I let her comment slide. There is a litany of her issues I could point out, but nothing I would have said would have been pleasant or constructive. I'm am hesitant to even bring them up here. I am comfortable, if not completely happy, with where I am. At least until a better alternative presents itself. Perhaps I will vent in a different post. 

I came home and tried to sleep, but it was still early, and I was restless. I got up around midnight, made some soup, and worked on the Lego project until 5:00 in the morning.

Shelby asked in the comments if I found Ava boring. She is less boring than an old man who sits around building Legos for hours. I miss the excitement I felt when I was with Billie. We seek out people who trigger our issues, not those good for us. The is why I found Firefly intriguing. She pushed all the right buttons. Ava doesn't trigger any of my buried traumas.


8 comments:

  1. A friend I had many years ago said that free sex is often the most expensive sex of all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I lost more in my divorce than I have spent anywhere else.

      Delete
  2. I haven't been in a bar since covid. But I did have Bloody Maria. Same thing as Bloody Mary, but once use tequila.
    Coffee is and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I was vaxed, I have tended to go on with my usual existence. It is only complicated by the changes in what you can do.

      Delete
  3. she was DEF looking to stir up things!
    so no plans to go away for New Year's eve in the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No plans for New Years, maybe something in March.

      Delete
  4. Surprise, no buried trauma is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is boring though. Like watching a TV show where everything is fine :).

      Delete