Even tough I have published my memoir. I am still compiling a final edit to eliminate any typos I am getting from reader feedback.
It was sometime after traveling through the Mojave in the Jeep that I had a weak moment. I sent an image of me beside the Jeep to Billie. The same image I ended up using as my about the author bio page. I was feeling a momentary loneliness on the road. It did not last long and we only exchange three text (two were mine). I have refrained from discussing my life in depth with Billie for some time. I feel like anything I share would be akin to bragging and indeed that picture, me with a band new Jeep Gladiator in the Mojave, was bragging.
After a difficult year following the break-up my life has gotten better. I haven't been alone. I am working from home. I bought the new truck. I went on a twenty-four day trip across the country and complete my novel. Both of of which, I consider bucket list goals.
I am been thinking about this road trip. Ultimately the trip was for myself but it was something I was not prepared to do on my own. It was a lesson in enjoying the moment. Firefly enjoyed the experience. Billie would have enjoyed it too but differently. Billie would never have been able to go on such a trip. I give Firefly credit for composing herself enough to go.
I have not sent a link to the memoir to Billie. I am not sure she would want to read it. she would probably want to forget about that time of her life. It does not matter, I wrote the book for myself. I put together the post because I feel like it is some of the best writing I have done.
Firefly is still living with me. Since the accident she has kept a low profile. I don't mind the company. I have not been going out much myself. She is looking for jobs and has only left the house with me or her mother. Though she would not agree, not having a car has kept her clean and out of trouble. She is not happy with the situation, but I do not care. It is up to her to change it.
The completion of my novel has left me with free time. I am tried of looking at that manuscript but I miss writing it. I started a fantasy novel, long ago when I was still married. I only have a printed hard copy of the original work. I think I will start putting that into the computer again and working on that.
You're right -- time to start on Book #2!
ReplyDeleteWell I will pull it out and see if it is worthwhile.
DeleteI love the idea of you finishing the fantasy novel! Get to work :) Typing it from the hard copy will be a good way to proofread and edit it, too.
ReplyDeleteIt also has edits from a professor of Writer's digest.
DeleteI usually give myself about 3 to 4 months before starting the next, however during that time I'm usually jotting down notes, doing research, choosing locations, so I don't think I ever really stop. And already I'm thinking about Bodega Bay... you know, Bodega Bay, that place where they had the bird problem.
ReplyDeleteWell it is winter and there is little to do. I will probably be less likely to write during the summer.
DeleteWriting can become very addictive if you Love to Write. I require Writing fixes more during Pandemic, since... what the Hell else are we doing really? Book #2 sounds like a splendid Idea. At least you proof your Work, my stream of consciousness Writes shit enthusiastically and then really doesn't wanna be bothered having to actually Read it... I'm not much of a Reader, clearly.
ReplyDeleteI like reading but I am picking about my authors.
DeleteI can't imagine how you managed to spend such a long time with someone who could not have managed to go on a vacation trip.
ReplyDeleteI'm not judging, I'm just amazed at it.
I'm glad you've had this opportunity
We went on vacations. We just never traveled far from Michigan or her dealers.
Delete