Sunday, January 31, 2021

My First Review

 I received my first review today. It was not good. The reviewer seems to like giving negative reviews. I am not popular with middle age females. No surprise. She has given out several one star reviews. She seems to have a bit of an axe to grind. She seems to be in the minority opinion on other books she has reviewed. It is disappointing for my first review to be only one star. I am working on editing the book one more time.


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I hope so too. I am not expecting all 5 star reviews but this woman seemed unusually harsh.

      Delete
  2. Bad reviews build character. Love the good reviews, ignore the bad, that's my motto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are right but the bad review fuels me more than the good review.

      Delete
  3. I'll leave mine when I finish the read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I review a lot of books and can tell you that every reviewer or reader is going to have something different to say. They are going to takeaway something different. Don't let the low reviews get you down. People aren't going to like every book they read and if this reviewer is giving out a lot of 1 stars then maybe they are just very critical.
    One more thing to keep in mind... Reviews are mainly for other readers, not authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know but I don't want other readers turned away before trying it out.

      Delete
  5. That's disappointing, but I wouldn't take it too much to heart. I haven't seen the review, but she read the book, right? If I really don't like a book, I won't bother reading it. And if she wrote a nasty review, you might have struck a nerve. Who knows. Give it time to get more reviews. I never base my decision to buy a book or anything else on one review. I take a look at all of them and get a feel for what many people like or don't like. I imagine other people feel the same and won't dismiss your book from one review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it struck a nerve given the other books she reviewed. They were all on the topic of addiction.

      Delete
  6. It is disappointing but Reviews are subjective, each Reader is going to have an Opinion and not everyone's will be favorable. The demographic may or may not be key to what Readers will enjoy your Work most, you will Appeal to just the right demographic for your Style and content/body of Work, so don't let it discourage you. If everybody likes something, it's not Art. And to me, Writing is an Art form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you have to have a thick skin to be an artist. Writing is creating something. I still feel it is an accomplishment.

      Delete