Our drive was mostly uneventful, except for the one detour between Columbus and Cincinnati, where I took a wrong turn into oncoming traffic. We survived.
The dogs, a pit bull and a boxer, settled into the back. The boxer occasionally whined, but neither bit my arm off.
We didn't play any music during the six-hour ride. We just talked—about our pasts, about her ex, about gender politics.
When we got closer to her hometown in southern Indiana, we stopped at a Walmart so she could pick up dog food and a few items for herself. We interacted naturally together—making jokes and observations about the differences between Walmarts.
She mentioned the angels in my tattoo sleeve. She said it was one of the first things she noticed.
"Maybe god or whoever brings people into your life when you need them," she said.
"Well, if I disappear on you, that just means I am on to my next assignment."
"You better not disappear on me."
As we exited the store, I said. "Now you can't say, I never took you anywhere."
She just laughed.
She unloaded her merger belonging, the dogs, and a couple of grocery bags. We exchanged hugs, and then I was back on the road.
The car felt noticeably quieter without her.
I turned on my music and sang along during the drive. I made good time until I ran into a heavy downpour outside of Toledo. Cars slowed or pulled over.
We exchanged a few texts during the drive. The vibe was different now that we could text freely.
Me: I just crossed into Michigan.
Violet: Glad you made it back to the American border.
I laughed. Violet feels Ohio and Indiana are too strict and un-American.
Me: You are so funny.
Violet: I mean, I think so. That's all that matters. And you made me listen to 35,000 dry jokes today. I think I earned one.
I told her that made me laugh even harder.
Violet: Ha, so I am funny. All this time I thought it was my charm and good looks.
Me: It is a little bit of both.
Violet: So you are pretty much saying I'm the full package.
Me: You are the full package that comes with a lot of complications.
Violet: Every good commitment comes with terms and conditions.
Me: I'm going to have to start learning to read the fine print.
Violet: Like that would be something you'd pass up on anyway. #1 master LEGO builder partner here.
The boyfriend ended up having his grandfather bond him out on Saturday. He was back in Indiana by Sunday evening. He picked up the dogs from Violet's mother. Violet was not around.
She wants to return to Michigan. She wants to continue hanging out with me. What that all means is still up in the air. I am letting her decide. I told her she is welcome to come back and stay with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment