Friday, August 14, 2026

An Unexpected Afternoon

It was 2:00 p.m. Friday afternoon. I was at work finishing a second draft of my latest story when I got a call from a number I didn't recognize. I almost didn't pick it up, but it was during work hours.

It was Violet. She was crying.

She and her boyfriend had rented a room in Farmington Hills, closer to the club, so she could work the weekend. He didn't want to drive all the miles (of course). They got into a shouting fight. She threw a cup of water at him. He ended up punching her in the back of the head.

Violet left the room and started walking. He followed her. He blocked her with his car and tried to get her inside when employees at a muffler shop intervened. They told him to leave the premises and took her inside.

That's when she called me. She was worried about her dogs, which were still in the room. I convinced her she needed to call the cops. He left the muffler shop, but he was watching from the balcony of the motel, which was just adjacent.

I told her that when the cops arrived, I would pick her up. He took off before they arrived. I got Violet. The people at the muffler shop were very kind and really helped her.

The cops arrived, and I picked her up.

He came back, but the cops didn't leave. They had just pulled around behind the muffler shop. They arrested him. They called us, got the room key from him, and we were able to pick up the dogs.

Between Violet's statement and the statements from the people at the muffler shop, the police had plenty to work with. He'll be spending at least the weekend in jail. He may have to spend longer, as this will violate his probation.

Violet and the dogs are spending the night here. In the morning, I am taking her back to her mom's in Indiana. It isn't ideal, but that is what she wants to do. I told her she could stay here, but I couldn't house her and the dogs.

She didn't want to go back to his place to get any of her things. She just wants to leave. Her main concern, right or wrong, is her dogs, which I understand.

So tomorrow will be a six-hour road trip, with another six hours back. I don't plan on staying overnight somewhere.

I call it an unexpected afternoon, but was it really? I think we all saw this coming. 

6 comments:

  1. You are such a Gentleman. Kind, Thoughtful, and caring toward others. Not many folks these days would take such action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised, the woman from the muffler shop called us after we got home and was checking to make sure Violet was okay. She was really nice.

      Delete
  2. This is progress. A regrettable start, but you are helping her make progress non-the-less

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is still her own worst enemy. But we will see.

      Delete