Yesterday I spent my time between working and reading old posts. There is a lot of reading involved in figuring out which to put into my memoir and crafting a cohesive story from them. The past is hard to read sometimes but to put a positive perspective on it, I know I would not act the same way again. Still, I would not have the memories I have today if I hadn't gone through those things. I have no regrets.
Tinkerbell called me on my drive home. She was driving home also. It brightened my day just to hear her voice.
"Two of my four children wished me a happy father's day," I said to her jokingly. Tinkerbell is not my forth child, but she is not far from being it either.
"Very funny. Sorry about that. It was a awkward father's day here," she says to me, then goes on to tell me her struggles with trying to get the T-Rex (her teenage son) to call his father and to get him to acknowledge Tinkerbell's current boyfriend who is taking on a parenting role.
As always, I understand both side of the situation. I understand why Tinkerbell tries to instill these things in her son and I also get the T-Rex's reluctance. The T-Rex has had several male figures in his life, myself included but I am sure his father's lack of interest in being a parent is hard for him.
We spoke for twenty minutes. The time went by quickly. Our conversations are always laced with humor. In the last fifteen years, I have probably spent more time talking to Tinkerbell on the phone than anyone else, including Billy.
Tinkerbell asked if I had heard from Billy. I told her I didn't see a reason to reach out to Billy. Tink thought that was true. I miss Billy. Anyone who reads my blog already knows that, but I know right now there is nothing to gain from communicating with her.
Some may question why I am writing a memoir about the last fifteen years of my life if Billy plays such a significant part of that story. My answer would be, because it is a good story. It is the kind of tale I picture being made into a TV series on HBO. It has all the necessary plot points: sex, drugs, a love triangle and an over all arch of redemption.
Hello. How are you?
Have you been alright through all those lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely nights?
That's what I'd say.
I'd tell you everything, if you'd pick up that telephone. Telephone Line, ELO
Okay, so sex... drugs... and no rock and roll? Wow!
ReplyDeleteWell the blog was always written with songs interlaced but due to licencing I do not include them in the book perhaps HBO can afford to include them :).
DeleteI am enjoying your blog. I love how you have a cast of characters as it helps this newbie understand it all...
ReplyDeleteYou should check out the progress on my memoir on Wattpad if you want more from the past.
Delete