I started this story, I woke up with the opening line-- "There ain't no such thing as cane sugar," and a question:
Who says that? When I was finished, I had my answer and another question:
Who is going to publish a story this long?
Luckily, I found my answer to both.
If you get the chance, please check it out.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGood to see you are still lurking around. I would have liked to see what you said. :)
DeleteWanted to read it again, I didn't get my review quite how I wanted it. Short version, I enjoyed it.
DeleteHey, thanks for visiting my blog. I read your story and liked it.
ReplyDeleteI really felt for Davie and Charlie. Poor Charlie. No one wants to think about kids getting cancer so this was heartbreaking and sad. Sometimes sad will really pull in the reader and it did for me. When Davie protects Susie, I thought it would make them inseparable, so it was sad to see them grow apart after Charlie's funeral. I liked that they got together later. All in all, I really liked this short (long) story. It pulled at the heartstrings and told a great story of grief and the harsh reality of childhood friendships growing apart.
Thank you Mary, it is often sad, but I tried to balance it with humor and a strong sense of place and time.
DeleteThank you Bath - I loved the story. It had a "Stand by me" vibe but more positive in the long term and that was really great. <3
ReplyDeleteThe movie My Girl and my own childhood were the inspiration behind the story.
DeleteGlad to see you are being published again. Keep the keyboard humming.
ReplyDeleteI have actually been writing a lot lately. I actually have two other longer short stories completed, and I am working on expanding this one.
Delete