I received a second rejection letter today, but it was encouraging.
Thanks for sharing Shimmer with us. I liked reading it, but unfortunately, our Editorial Board thought it's not quite ready for publication in its current form.
We hoped to find surprises in your piece, to read a story that is creative in the sense that it describes more than a "typical" love triangle mess.
Mentioning the psychic is underdeveloped, and if you want to keep it, we would suggest that you explain its symbolic significance.
Finally, the ending could be stronger. Let the reader discover something new!
I hope you are not too disappointed that we have to reject your submission. I do see potential here, but the piece still deserves some work.
I encourage you to continue sharing your work with us, either with a new piece or a revised version of this one!
This feedback gave me the direction to add to the piece and do what they requested, without adding other areas that are underdeveloped. I will wait several months and submit it again.
At lest they stated thier opinions and not a direct denial
ReplyDeleteYes, that is a higher-tier rejection.
DeleteFeedback! That's great. It's always nice when they tell you what was wrong with it so you know what can be improved upon.
ReplyDeleteIt allowed me to reshape the piece closer to what they were asking.
DeleteFor a rejection, that’s really good! Anything beyond the standard form rejection is impressive, I think. Good luck with the next steps x
ReplyDeleteThank you, I have taken their feedback to heart, reworked the piece and I will be resubmitting it again in a few months, I think the rewrites addressed their concerns and elevated the piece.
Delete