Thursday, June 1, 2023

Court

 The district court in Chesterfield is empty on a Wednesday afternoon. It sees few compelling cases. I went there today for my ticket. I got there early, checked in, and was told to sit on one of the benches in the hall. My officer will find me. 

As I waited in the hall, a dozen people checked in and filled the other benches. A young couple sat on a bench near me. They barely looked old enough to drive, let alone to be in traffic court. I overheard the girl say, some of these people seem sketchy. I glanced around the hallway. Everyone was dressed business casual. Everyone except for me. I was dressed in jeans and a pale turquoise American Fighter teeshirt, sleeve of tattoos clearly visible.

I wasn't expecting to go before the judge; I'd probably have worn the same thing even if I was. My police officer came out from the back and called my name. He recalled our conversation when he gave me the ticket. He asked if I had brought my registration, asked me to sign off on the ticket, and everything was waved. The procedure took less than two minutes and occurred in the hallway.

I took an extra day off over the weekend and detoxed from work and the internet for four days. I am becoming more accepting of not working, especially after spending time away. Work provides an income and a schedule, something I allow to slide on weekends and holidays. I don't know how structured I will be without such a schedule. 

9 comments:

  1. Working 3 days a week does provide structure and a chance for me to interact with a segment of the population I would never meet. I am quite certain I would miss it were it to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is good to get out of the house to work sometimes. Are you planning to leave your job?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m doing an intermittent internet detox this summer, but I might just do it year round. It’s nice to mentally get away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can be a bit of an overload. So can binging TV.

      Delete
  4. Glad the court visit was relatively painless. A 4-day detox? Wow. I might have to try that and see how long I can last.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least it was taken care of pretty fast, that's good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not bad because I work from home on Wednesdays.

      Delete