Monday morning the assisted living center where my dad is stay calls me. My dad's oxygen level is low, he needs to go to the hospital. I pack my computer warn my boss of my departure and head out of work. This has become routine over the past year.
I get my dad dressed. He is slumped in his wheel chair. His false teeth are out and he is not making much sense. I wheel him down to the Jeep and help him get inside the lifted vehicle. It is a struggle for him but my younger brother still has dad's Buick and he is not prompt about such matters. Fuck I cannot reach him by text half the time. How is that possible in this day and age?
At the emergency room they get my father seen quickly. They do not mess around when breathing or heart issues are present. I watch them take dad's shirt off so they can get an EKG. His arms and legs are so thin compared to his torso. It reminds me of E.T. I wonder to myself how can someones torso be so large when is arms and legs are so small. It just reinforces in me how important exercise is as you get older and how I hate getting older.
My father's health is still fragile. A cold can wipe out weeks of him building his strength up. He wants to take more Chemo treatments. I don't think the cancer doctor will recommend it. The cancer is killing him but so is the treatment. If dad gets out of the hospital I need to remind him that he should not wait to do anything at this point. He is a fighter, but I think he tends to ignore the obvious. He is weak and he could go anytime.
I am praying for your father
ReplyDeleteThanks Phoenix.
DeleteMuscles not used in the arms and legs, muscular wasting is occurring... What a crap situation. I don't want to imagine myself old and fragile, I already feel fragile and I'm not old. At that point, what's worth fighting for? Although, I do feel this way right now as well, but that's my depression talking. Hopefully he recovers from this situation, and fingers crossed there's no issue with his medicare (I see it everyday, ugh).
ReplyDeleteDanielle his insurance is great he gets the best care. I feel the same as you. If you are not getting laid, not able to eat what you want and cannot play video games why live :).
DeleteI’m so sorry, Bathwater. Prayers. X
ReplyDeleteJules it is hard to watch I spend to much time thinking about getting old.
ReplyDeleteSorry that it's so tenuous and scary with your Dad.
ReplyDeleteThanks Robyn, unfortunately it is getting worse the hospital is suggesting hospice or palliative care.
Delete