Monday, January 20, 2020

Book Club

Tinkerbell texted me two weeks.  She asked if I was interested in joining a book reading club at our local library.  As part of my resolution not to say no, I accepted.  We are reading What the Eyes Don't See, by Mona Attisha.  It is about the Flint water crisis so it is somewhat local to me.   Our first discussion is was Thursday.

I have a bad preconceived opinion of our library.  It is not in a prestigious building.  It is tucked away in a light industrial park.  It has been awaiting a new location for years.

Tinkerbell can to my condo first.  She was dressed all in black.  I drove us both to the library.  The book club seemed very informal group of people but everyone seemed to know each other.

“It’s all old people,” Tinkerbell stage whispers to me as we approach the meeting room.  It was true.  She was definitely the youngest person in the group.  I was probably not, but felt younger than any of those who were.   There were a group of ten people including us attending.  The meeting was run by one of the library staff. For the most part, the discussions stayed on the book and the topics from within.  I felt it was good for Tink.  She gets nervous speaking in front of strangers when she is out of her environment.

4 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful blog! The topics you write about are very close to me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    I follow you through GFC! If you want, go to my blog :)

    MY NEW POST: BLOG ISSUE♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is a work in progress and no where near what I used to have.

      Delete
  2. it's like that Lexus book-club commercial, when in doubt, just say the book is a masterstroke of heartache and redemption *winky face*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could use a redeeming master stroke.

    ReplyDelete