The hardest thing for me to balance in my query letter is that the story is about relationships that form around the Detroit strip club environment, but it is not a male strip club book.
One guy from the workshop asked to read it and said:
I think it is a great book and will be a big seller, maybe even a movie.
I’m not usually down for stories about strip joints, especially from the POV of dudes, especially patrons getting involved with the talent, but this tale is different: lyrical.
I trust & like the narrator, and feel compelled to follow his journey and turn the page to see what happens next.
This has not been an isolated response. They have preconceived ideas about what the story will be about, but once they start reading, they find out it is much more.
I've worked very hard and shaped this book compared to my first attempt. This version is much stronger and a totally different read. I just need one agent willing to take a leap of faith.
It's always about voice. If you can put your voice in the query, that should help. Maybe focus on the main character and not the setting.
ReplyDeleteI have revised the query to showcase the voice up front, and you are right, I think that improved it.
DeleteI'm waiting for a book, though the interlibrary loan program.
ReplyDeleteWell that might be a long wait, but not impossible.
DeleteAnd I do hope that you will secure an agent that will make that leap!!!
ReplyDeleteI keep telling myself it only takes one agent to take a risk.
DeleteCongrats on the positive feedback, fingers crossed for you!
ReplyDeleteWaiting on the next step.
DeleteI’d be interested to read once it’s published. I think it’s a story you could tell well.
ReplyDeleteI wish you all the Luck to get Published and hopefully it will be a Best Seller... and a Movie!!!
ReplyDelete