Wednesday, March 18, 2026

Query

 I have started actively querying agents, which is a job in itself.  First, you have to find one who wants to read more. Second, they need to want to represent the project. It is a long journey, but one I am willing to pursue at this point. 

I signed up for a small writers workshop led by an instructor from UCLA. Eight people max. I am hoping that produces some good feedback. At this point, I like editing as much as I do writing. I learn a lot from both.

Max is dealing with BPD (borderline personality disorder). In his case, it is probably true. He suggests I, too, have BPD. On that, I disagree. While I have some of the signs, none of them prohibit me from functioning 

I think therapy is a good thing, although I am resistant to placing all your trust in it or blaming all your issues on something like BPD. At some point, you have to also take responsibility. His generation leans into this therapy culture. 

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I agree. I hate these tiddy labels, but if it helps him understand himself, I'm okay with it. I just don't think I fit into a tiddy label.

      Delete
  2. Good luck in the querying trenches. May you find your perfect agent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself, it only takes one agent.

      Delete
  3. Is this a newer diagnosis for Max? I find that a lot of people, when in the early stages of a diagnosis, are hyper perceptive to potential traits in others. Of course, traits =/= disorder. I also ask because, similarly, it can feel like “finally, I know what the problem is, this must be why I X/Y/Z”. It takes time and hard work to pick apart the mess and figure out what is actually the BPD, and what isn’t.

    I agree wholeheartedly on the responsibility factor. At the end of the day, mental health may be an explanation, but it’s not an excuse.
    "Your mental illness is not your fault, but it is your responsibility."

    Best of luck with the querying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma has struggled with anxiety and mental illness, but this label is relatively new. I hope he does get the therapy he needs to overcome this. I think he can.

      Delete